Categories
Community Workouts

2013-12-19

9:00 ~ 10:00 a.m.
Open Gym
Current Members can come in to work on specific movements, particularly ones in which you need practice and further instruction. We will either have a WOD that you can do or you can do a WOD that you missed this week.

10:00 ~ 11:00 a.m.
Team/Partner WOD
First-timers get to WOD for free! Members should bring their friends to try us out.

Categories
Community Events Workouts

JBR & HOLIDAY BASH REVIEW

This year’s Jingle Bell Run and our Holiday Bash were a success! Thank you to those who attended these events.

2012 JINGLE BELL RUN /WALK FOR ARTHRITIS
We collected $680 for the Arthritis Foundation and had 17+ runners and walkers on our team with several gym members on other teams. View the Racing Results. We’d like to recognize the following members and coaches for their performance at the Jingle Bell Run:

• Alex Perry – 1st Place Male 25-29
  • Mike Geranis – 2nd Place Male 35-39
  • Kyle Brocious – 3rd Place Male 30-34

ANNUAL HOLIDAY BASH

We’d like to recognize the following members and coaches who won awards at the Holiday Bash:

2012 COACHES AWARDS

• “Most Caring” – Coach Andrea
  • “Most Creative” – Coach Cody
  • “Most Knowledgeable” – Coach David
  • “Most Motivating” – Coach Cody
  • “Most Technical” – (TIE) Coach David & Jennie

2012 BONEYARD AWARDS

• Athletic Prowess Award – This award recognizes the person who attacks the WOD with determination and superior skill and ability.
    2011 Recipient: Greg Harback
    2010 Recipient: Chris Kay
    2012 Nominees: Tom Clark, Susan Collins, Kjelen Jacobson, Steve Shirley, Larry Sullivan, Blake Thomas
    2012 Recipient: BLAKE THOMAS
  • Athletic Supporter Award – This award is bestowed upon the person who believes in our cause and advocates and promotes it.
    2011 Recipient: Mickey Artolachipe
    2010 Recipients: Sam Ivery & Kelly Adams
    2012 Nominees: Mike Anderton, Kyle Brocious, Chris Katechis, Josh Whitman
    2012 Recipient: JOSH WHITMAN
  • Comedic Relief Award – This award is bestowed upon the person who provides us with humor therapy to relieve the physical and emotional pain and stress of the WOD.
    2011 Recipient: Brandon King
    2010 Recipient: Jof Mehaffey
    2012 Nominees: Cory Christoffer, Steve Shirley, Josh Whitman
    2012 Recipient: CORY CHRISTOFFER
  • “Hello Sunshine!” Award – This award, also known as the Spirit Award, is bestowed upon the person who promotes positive morale through actions of good spirit.
    2011 Recipient: Kyle Brocious
    2010 Recipient: Tina Fletcher (ACSC)
    2011 Honorable Mentions: Tina Castro, Steve Shirley, Alonzo Thomas, Malissa Valdes-Hubert, Amy Vega
    2012 Recipient: MALISSA VALDES-HUBERT
  • Most Improved Player Award – This award is given to the person who has shown the most improvement, physically and mentally.
    2011 Recipient: Christy Mehaffey
    2010 Recipient: Russ Boswell
    2012 Nominees: Donna Allen, Scott Stephenson, Alley Thomas
    2012 Recipient: SCOTT STEPHENSON
  • Perfect Attendance Award – This award is bestowed upon the person who consistently attends class (while achieving significant results).
    2011 Recipient: Kitty Chamberlain
    2010 Recipient: Jon Countess (ACSC)
    2012 Nominees: Jof & Christy Mehaffey, Scott Stephenson, Alonzo Thomas, Russ & Chrissy Voce
    2012 Recipient: RUSS & CHRISSY VOCE
  • Super-Ego Award – This award is bestowed upon the person who lacks “ego” and conforms to the rules of The ‘Yard and its trainers.
    2011 Recipient: Jeff Singleton
    2010 Recipient: Clay Fuller
    2012 Nominees: Mark Czelusta, Maureen Harback, Kjelen Jacobson, Adam Warnke
    2012 Recipient: MAUREEN HARBACK
  • Technique Geek Award – This award is bestowed upon the person who values the importance of and strives to achieve proper technique.
    2011 Recipient: Chris Katechis
    2010 Recipient: Kyle Brocious
    2012 Nominees: Alexis Blankenship, Tom Clark, Kaleb Clarke, Scott Stephenson
    2012 Recipient: KALEB CLARKE
  • Unsung Hero Award – This award recognizes the person who makes a substantive yet unrecognized contribution.
    2011 Recipient: Tim Vaught
    2010 Recipient: Kitty Chamberlain
    2012 Nominees: Tom Clark, Sarah Gill, Blake Hubert
    2012 Recipient: TOM CLARK
  • “Yah Burpees!” Award – This award recognizes the person who is always up for a challenge and eager to learn and experience.
    2011 Recipient: Rob Young
    2010 Recipient: Chris Katechis
    2012 Nominees: Mike Anderton, Cory Christoffer, Ashley Jurimas, Shirrell Roberts
    2012 Recipient: MIKE ANDERTON
Categories
Community Events Foundations Workouts

2012-12-01

Good luck to the CrossFit Montgomery Team and all members (on other teams) running and walking in the 2012 Jingle Bell Run! We are meeting at 7:45 a.m. for a group photo and to warm up in the Catherine Roland Student Center, located across from the sand volleyball court and housing the basketball court.

Note: We are switching to our winter hours starting today so we are a bit warmer at the gym. Open Gym moves back to 9:00 a.m. and the Group WOD is at 10 a.m.

Open Gym
Current Members can come in to work on specific movements, particularly ones in which you need practice and further instruction. We will either have a WOD that you can do or you can do a WOD that you missed this week.

10:00 ~ 11:00 a.m.
Group WOD

10:00 ~ 12:00 a.m.
Foundations Class
A new Foundations class begins. Please contact us if you or someone you know is interested in getting started.

Categories
Community Events

JINGLE BELL RUN 5K & HOLIDAY BASH

JINGLE BELL RUN 5K FOR ARTHRITIS
Join CrossFit Montgomery’s team and/or donate money for the 2012 Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis on Saturday, December 1 at 8:30 a.m. on the Huntingdon College Campus by visiting our CrossFit Montgomery’s Fundraising Page. This is a chance to put your running drills to the test and donate money to a good cause! Our team is running/walking in honor of Reva Tosh, members Jerry’s wife and Greg’s mother, who recently passed away and suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritis for 30 years.

We will pick up the runners’ packets on Thursday and have them available at the gym on Friday for you to pick up. Packets not picked up on Friday will be available on Saturday morning at the race. We will meet at 7:45 a.m. in the Catherine Dixon Roland Arena on Huntingdon’s campus where the public restrooms and basketball courts are located (where we always meet) to warm-up and take the group photo.

NOTE: The Boneyard will be open at 9 a.m. this Saturday for Open Gym. We will have a group WOD at 10 a.m. These are our new Winter hours.

3rd ANNUAL CFM HOLIDAY BASH
Join the CFM Family for a dinner party (our big event of the year!) celebrating the holidays that evening (Dec. 1) at 6 p.m. in Warehouse 37. Our 3rd Annual Holiday Party will be similar to our first two. It’s a Tacky Dress Party (wear your best [tackiest] holiday sweater or costume). The coaches are bringing the chili and supplying the protein. David and Jennie will be providing the drinks and consumables (plates, napkins, plasticware, etc.) Members should bring a side/appetizer or dessert (along with a serving utensil) to share with others. There is a RSVP and Food Sign-Up Sheet on the Westside whiteboard. The adults and kids will play Dirty Santa separately. Adults gift limit: $20. Kids/Teens gift limit: $10. Family-friendly gifts please! Coaches will announce the 2012 Boneyard Member Awards and the members will vote on the 2012 Coach Awards. Make plans for the family to be there. It’s going to be fun!

We are hoping to broadcast the SEC Championship Game on a 12X12 ft. screen at the gym before the Holiday Bash. We may not know until the day before if it will happen. If we do, people can come as early as 2:30 p.m. to watch the game which starts at 3 p.m. Look for an update about this on our Facebook Event page (link below).

Holiday Bash Tentative Schedule

• Meet & Greet
  • Welcome & Blessings
  • Dinner
  • 2012 Boneyard Awards Ceremony
  • Dirty Santa Games (Kids first, then adults)
  • 2012 Coaches Awards Announcement

For more information, visit our Facebook Event: Jingle Bell Run & Annual Holiday Bash.

Categories
Community CrossFit Events Workouts

2012-10-13

“Grace”
For Time:
– 30 Clean and Jerks

CrossFit Montgomery and friends are lifting barbells for boobs in the 4th Annual “Amazing Grace” Fundraiser starting at 9:00 a.m. with a special WOD for the kiddos.

Participants can read details on our CFM HOSTS BARBELLS FOR BOOBS.

SAVE A PAIR…Save a life! Donate at www.barbellsforboobs.com or submit your donation at the fundraiser on Saturday. We are asking all participants to donate or collect $20.

Categories
Community Events

OLYMPIC LIFTING WORKSHOP (NOV. 11)

CrossFit Montgomery is hosting an Olympic Weightlifting Workshop with USA Weightlifting Coach and competitive Olympic Lifter Bull Ternus of Silverback Sports Performance at The Boneyard (CrossFit Montgomery).

This one-day workshops is not a “train the trainer” seminar. Coach Bull will work with each attendee individually on their snatch and clean & jerk.

Cost: $100
Capacity: 15

Register and come prepared to set a new PR!

TRAINING WITH BULL
The CrossFit Montgomery coaches trained with Coach Bull from July 2011 to July 2012. As a result, they saw significant improvements in their personal performances as well as their knowledge and confidence in coaching others. Below is feedback from Adrienne who attended our March 4, 2012 workshop. Below her recommendation are quotes from some of Bull’s friends.

“I can honestly say this is the first time I have walked away from anything where Olympic lifting was involved feeling hopeful and excited instead of overwhelmed.While seminars, books, articles, and videos have been extremely valuable in building my knowledge, it has always been mostly  knowledge of what other people need to do.  I know how the lifts are supposed to work, why they are supposed to work, and I can usually see what is right and wrong in others, but it has been very difficult for me to translate that to my own issues in lifting.”

“Coach Bull was able to explain movements using simple analogies and instructions that made things click for me personally in a way they have not previously.  He never gave more information than was needed; even though it was obvious he had extensive knowledge and experience.  Instead of telling attendees they had a problem and letting them leave the platform with a foggy idea of how they could fix it, he made sure that each of us had a physical understanding as well as an intellectual understanding of what was happening.”

“I know when I go to practice now exactly what cues will be in my head and I know my body will understand them because, after being pushed and pulled and prodded into the right positions, I know what the correct movements should feel like.”

“And, after almost two years of just pulling that bar and hoping the planets will align and the right things will happen between my body and gravity, I feel like my body and brain are finally both on the same page and I can really start working on these lifts!”

– Adrienne McPhaul, CrossFitter

“Bull has been one of my instructors when I’ve held certs in the National Capital Region. He knows what he is doing! As a competitive lifter, Bull has trained with us many times at Mike’s Gym, and his focus and drive is extraordinary! He’s an even better coach – he teaches fundamentally sound principals and fundamentals in the snatch, the clean, the jerk and assistant exercises related to the Olympic lifts. Clients at your gym will be lucky to have an individual of Bull’s ability teaching them… needless to say I highly recommend Bull!”
– Mike Burgener

“Bull has been a friend and mentor for a number of years! Bull is an incredible source of Olympic-lifting information for myself as well as many others. I’ve asked for his guidance many times, and he’s always steered me in a direction that produced positive results. His knowledge of weightlifting (and not just Olympic I might add, but all strength training) is only exceeded by his passion for it. I’ve known and worked with the finest coaches, athletes, and sports scientists in the business, and Bull’s among the very best! I hold Bull in the highest regard as a coach and mentor and I’m confident that he’ll bring success to every athlete he teaches!”
– Casey Burgener

“I know Bull well, and I’m proud to call him a friend. He has a unique gift of being able to not only identify the small mistakes that athletes frequently make, but the ability to explain subtle adjustments in a way that the athletes can easily comprehend and accomplish. Bottom line, if you work with Bull, you’re going to get better…quickly!”
– Glenn Pendlay,
Owner of Pendlay Barbell and head coach of California Strength

“I’m a HUGE Bull Ternus fan! Bull interned with me at MNU for a year while he was attending the Army’s Command and General Staff College at Leavenworth, and he was a fantastic coach and mentor (including to me!). I always marveled at his amazing ability to help every athlete find the best individual method to break through their barriers. He is an exceptionally motivating individual, and I’m convinced you can get a PR just by standing next to him! Bull’s the best!”
– Whitney Rodden,
Head Strength and Conditioning Coach at Mid America Nazarene University in Olathe, KS and USAW athlete
Categories
Community CrossFit Events Workouts

CFM HOSTS BARBELLS FOR BOOBS

CrossFit Montgomery and friends lifted barbells for boobs in the annual “Amazing Grace” Fundraiser on Saturday, October 13 at The Boneyard, CrossFit Montgomery’s gym. You can continue to donate to the cause until the end of October. So far we’ve raised $1,805. Thank you to those who participating in our event and donated. View Photos.

Amazing Grace (A.K.A. Barbells For Boobs) is an annual fundraiser benefitting Mammograms in Actions (MIA), sponsored by the Reebok and supported by the CrossFit community. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to MIA, a non-profit organization located in Lake Forest, California. Every dollar CrossFit Montgomery raised will go to providing mammography, screening, and/or diagnostic procedures in the prevention of breast cancer for low-income and uninsured women in Alabama.

“Grace” the Workout and Rules
Participants will complete the CrossFit “Grace” workout. “Grace” is thirty clean and jerks, the Olympic lift, “for time” (AFAP or as fast as possible). The standard weight for men is 135 lb. The standard weight for women is 95 lb. Participants needing to scale the weight will choose from the following: 15, 35, 55, 75, 95, and 115 lb.

Game Day
The Boneyard will open at 8 a.m. Everyone will warm up on their own. We will start with a special workout for the kiddos at 9 a.m. Participants scaling the workout will complete the WOD first, following by those going as prescribed. You will be added to heats as you arrive. Unlike previous years, we will not have judging or prizes.

History
CrossFit Montgomery hosted the 2nd Annual Barbells for Boobs in 2010 at The Boneyard. In 2011, we took a group to CrossFit Birmingham and participated in their Amazing Grace event.  See photos: 2011 | 2010

Categories
Community CrossFit Endurance Events Public Safety WOD Workouts

2012-09-15

8:00 ~ 9:00 a.m.
Open Gym

Endurance Class
The Endurance Team is for CrossFit Montgomery members only. Cost: $30 a month.

“9-11 THROWDOWN” ~ A One-Round 9 Movement 11 Rep Chipper

Buy-In & Cash-Out: 2,001m Row (representing the year of the 9-11 attacks)

….then 11 reps of the following:

• 36/24″ box jumps
  • 125/85# thrusters (deaths @ pentagon)
  • burpee chest-to-bar pullups
  • 175/120# power cleans (AA Flight #175 (south tower))
  • handstand pushups
  • 2 pood/1.5 pood swings
  • toes to bar
  • 170/120# deadlifts (Flight 77 and Flight 93)
  • 110/75# push jerks (number of floors in each tower)

We can scale and modify where needed. There is an option to partner up and split the work.

Categories
Community CrossFit Endurance Events Public Safety WOD Workouts

2012-09-01

Pictured above:  Kyle and Coach Nate on Aug. 25
before the Mid-Atlantic Super Spartan Race in Virginia

Special Message: Our thoughts and prayers, today and always, are with the family of Reva Tosh, Greg’s mother, who passed away Wednesday from an extended illness.

8:00 ~ 9:00 a.m.
Open Gym

Endurance Class
The Endurance Team is for CrossFit Montgomery members only. Cost: $30 a month.

Group WOD
Come in at 9 and we’ll have a group WOD for you! This class is for our Public Safety Personnel as well.

Categories
Community Events Workouts

2012-08-25

Come out next Saturday, August 25 to the Montgomery Dragon Boat Race & Festival at Riverfront Park and cheer our sponsored team ROW Tide with CrossFit Montgomery members Scott & Kelly, Josh and Misha, Amy, Cory, Kristin, and Coach Mike, as well as members who are on other teams.

Note: The Boneyard will be closed on Saturday, August 25.